On an amphitheater overnight, a Girl Scout troop spends a weekend camping at Lake Fairfax Park, cooking out, sleeping under the stars, playing theatre games, developing skits, and earning badges. You could earn as many as FOUR Junior badges! Yes, it’s true! You could leave on Sunday at noon with your Theatre (Make your Own), Camper, Playing the Past and Social Butterfly badges in your hands!
A Typical Weekend
Saturday: Scouts get 7 hours of intensive theatre training by teachers with master degrees and decades of teaching experience. Scouts prepare their own meals and sleep in tents on the beautiful grounds of Lake Fairfax Park! (camping equipment provided; scouts provide personal gear).
Sunday: Scouts make breakfast, perform their skits in the amphitheater and receive badges.
- Who: Open to Girl Scout Juniors (4th – 5th grades). Troop leaders must register on behalf of their troop.
- Where: Lake Fairfax Park, 1400 Lake Fairfax Drive, Reston, VA 20190
- When: Fall 2017 dates available: September 2-3, 9-10, and 16-17
- Time: Arrive at 10:00 AM on Saturday, and depart on Sunday at 11:00 AM.
- Fee: Base fee is $120/scout (for 7 hours of drama instruction, mask materials, TPE badge, food and shelter), plus $30 per adult. Every overnight can be individually tailored for your troop, which can affect pricing. Deposit of $300 required to reserve weekend.
- Troop Registration: Call 703-987-1712 or email us. The Troop Leader must fill out the Amphitheater Overnight Troop Form. Individuals attending must fill out a waiver and information form, which will be provided to troop leader upon registration.
If you already have an Amphitheater Overnight scheduled or would like more information on the program, here are some handouts (in pdf format) that are useful:
Interested in earning theatre badges for a Cadette or Senior troop? Contact us at email@example.com or 703-987-1712.
Here’s what GS Leaders are saying:
“Variety of activities” “Extremely organized” “Worked even more as a team”
Here’s what Scouts are saying: “I learned how to pitch a tent and take it down in less than 5 minutes.”