Winter Performances: Thespians
This performance class mounts a play using a tight ensemble of middle school actors. The play will be professionally directed and fully produced — with custom-designed costumes, set, props, sound score, and lighting. The show will be performed in our Studio at Tysons Corner Center for your friends and family — as well as the public!
This innovative class is for experienced performers as well as less experienced actors who are eager and dedicated.
For current 7th – 9th graders.
LIMITED AVAILABILITY: Cast size is limited 12 to performers. We recommend registering for the first audition you can attend.
- November 21, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- December 12, 1:00 — 3:00 pm
- January 2, 12:30 — 1:30 pm
- January 6, 5:00 — 5:45 pm
- Register for either audition by November 21 at midnight to claim the Early Bird Discount!
- 7th & 9th graders: See below — Swing Years
REHEARSAL & PERFORMANCE
- Saturdays & Sundays, January 8 — March 20
By Gregory A. Falls and Kurt Beattie
Join Penelope as she waits for her husband Odysseus to return from the Trojan War. After 10 long years of battle, Troy has fallen, and the Greeks are finally returning home. But a slight against Poseidon, God of the Sea, veers Odysseus and his soldiers far off course. For 10 more years, he must sail the world, battle great monsters, and brave the River Styx; while at home Penelope must fight battles of her own against greedy suitors who wish to steal the throne. Based on Homer’s epic poem, The Odyssey is an adventure about community, overcoming fate, and finding honor in humility.
- 7th Grade Swings: you will audition for both the Players and Thespians plays. We will ask you your preference after the audition.
- 9th Grade Swings: please audition only once (either for the Thespians or the Dramatists) – for the program that you are more interested in. We will take your preference into consideration when deciding ensemble assignments, but will place you in the ensemble that we feel is most appropriate for your growth as a performer.
Please do not be discouraged if you are placed in a different ensemble than your preference. It is likely because we think you will receive a better challenge or more leadership opportunities in the other ensemble.
I just wanted to thank you and Traveling Players for all the training you guys have given me in the last three years. I got third place in my school’s Shakespeare monologue competition [as a freshman], and I give the credit ENTIRELY to the very worthy Traveling Players Ensemble. I love Traveling Players so much and I am glad to have met each and every person I’ve met there!
7th and 9th graders have choices at Traveling Players! You can choose to either age up into an older age group, or stay and be a leader in the younger age group – either way you’re sure to have a ton of fun!
Current 7th Graders
- If you’re new to theatre, or you just finished the Acting Sampler Week or the Mythology Ensemble, we recommended that you stay in the 4th– 7th grade program. Most of your friends from the summer will be here and you will work with many of the amazing teachers you already know and love.
- If you’re looking for a new challenge, or if you were a part of the Thespian Ensemble we recommend that you join our 7th-9th grade program.
- If you’re auditioning for the Winter Performances but don’t know which group to choose, please attend the Thespians audition. During registration, you’ll be able to opt in to simultaneous consideration for the Players group.
Current 9th Graders
- If you’re new to theatre, or if you just finished our Thespian Ensemble, we recommended that you stay in the 7th-9th grade program. Most of your friends from the summer will be here, and you will work with many of the amazing teachers you already know and love.
- If you’re looking for a new challenge, or if you were a part of the Shakespeare Ensemble, we recommend that you join our 9th-12th grade program.
- If you’re auditioning for the Winter Performances but don’t know which group to choose, please attend the Dramatists audition. During registration, you’ll be able to opt in to simultaneous consideration for the Thespians group.
If you have any questions about which program would be perfect for you please call (703-987-1712) or email (campdirector@
After the final performance […] I was so sad to put my costumes on the front porch, to be picked up. I thought about all I had learned in four weeks, the fun I had, and the friends I had made. It all went by so quickly, and I will really miss it all. I can’t wait to come back next year, and see everyone again! After a lonely spring with the quarantine and COVID-19, this was a great way to reconnect with like-minded friends and jump-start my summer in the most amazing way!