Financial Aid Guidelines
Traveling Players is deeply committed to equitable access to the arts. That’s why we are proud to offer the most generous financial aid program in our region for artistic kids. In 2021, we awarded more than $54,000 to dedicated young artists who needed financial aid to attend quality theatrical training. Over 50% of our 2021 families received financial aid or discounts.
All students are welcome to apply for need-based financial aid. As of April 1, 2022, financial aid is available on a rolling basis. Please submit your application as soon as possible. We consider applications on a first come first, served basis.
There is no annual limit to the amount that we can award, and no lifetime cap. We have had a history of awarding students for six years and over $20,000 in awards.
A single application may allow a student to be eligible for multiple awards over the course of a single year – welcoming a student into many Traveling Players camps, classes, and events.
- Please Note: We know that there is a critical nationwide need right now. Unfortunately, due to stipulations associated with our grants and funding, we must give financial aid priority to regional students (DC metropolitan area)
- For Sleepaway Theatre Camps & Acting Conservatories: Register to audition for the program that your student would like to attend. You may begin your financial aid application immediately (see steps below), but we will consider your application once you have been accepted into the program. Determination letters are sent within a week following the audition.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-987-1712 if you need audition fees waived.
- For Acting Studio day camp: The parent should contact us email@example.com or 703-987-1712. If we determine you are a good candidate for financial aid, then we will give you a code to temporarily hold a space in Acting Studio while your scholarship application is being processed.
- The student writes a letter to Artistic Director Jeanne Harrison explaining why they want to be a member of Traveling Players’ summer programs or classes and what special qualities they would bring to the ensemble.
- The student asks a teacher or coach who knows them well to fill out a recommendation form:
- Parents complete the Financial Aid Application Form and provide a copy of last year’s federal tax return to verify your eligibility for financial aid. Please do NOT email your taxes. Snail mail them (P.O. Box 1315, Great Falls, VA 22066) or use an encrypted email service.
- Please block out your social security numbers; we don’t need those.
Once you have been accepted and completed your application, and we have determined that you qualify for financial aid, we will contact you to schedule a brief interview. After the interview, you will receive an email letting you know the level of financial aid that we are able to provide. Awards vary from 10% to 100% of tuition. Depending on Traveling Players’ success in securing donations and grants, the level of support we can offer may increase or decrease from year to year.
Students are required to re-apply each year for financial aid. Students receiving financial aid are required to write a letter documenting their experience.
Thanks again for your interest in Traveling Players’ programs! If you have any questions about the application process or our programs, please don’t hesitate to call or email: (703) 987-1712 or firstname.lastname@example.org